Monday 6 October 2014

Artist Studies

This post contains some of the artists that help inspire my project development and ideas. Looking into artists who relate to the project topic and then use their work to for development.

Chris Welsby


Using nature as a main feature of his work really drew me into his art. Nature being one of my interests I looked to his art as an inspiration for my idea.

Richard Long


A lot like Chris, Richard uses nature as a theme. Forming angled rocks and other forms of land, in certain patterns and shapes, making strangely satisfying shapes out of jagged rocks. 

Mariele Neudecker


Enclosing landscapes in glass boxes full of liquid, jagged mountains with fog covered bases, lit brightly with cold blue lights. Loving the colours and lighting theme of her art work as well as the interest of how she made them made me come to love her work. Leah also showed us a few pieces of her work, one being a Winterreise (2003) where she feels a boat journey round a specific latitude in the north sea, played along side an opera telling a story. I loved this piece as it's relaxing to look at and hear, the gentle music and steady motion of the boat made it feel like meditating. I wanted to take some of those aspects, being relaxing and soothing to enjoy, as sort of calming zone. 

Tacita Dean


The distortion of this image is simple but intriguing, unable to see the background and location it's in and then the look of the tree itself, black and white, withered, dying. Yet I think it looks beautiful and mysterious, making me want to know where this is. 

Jane and Louise Wilson 


These artist take some stunning photos of abandoned places such as the waste land that used to be Chernobyl and many other places that our run down and falling apart. Capturing the difference in how things look even after not being interacted with for so long. 

Susan Hiller

The lights she uses in her works are surprisingly hypnotic and warm too me. Also another one of her pieces, Witness, features a room filled with hundreds of hanging speakers in a low lit room. The speakers retelling stories of peoples extraterrestrial encounters.

Boyle Family


Recreating a small plot of land using a cast and then using a type of the material to remodel that piece of land so they can hang it on the wall.

Pippiloti Rist


After seeing her work (shown in image above) I got the inspiration of how to present my maps and journeys work as an installation piece. But instead of using only 2 walls I'd try to use all walls if possible.

Ben Young



Using slivers of glass glued next together in an intricate design that forms a landscape or object. I personally love this art as the craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing, and then to create such beautiful pieces of work in that soft turquoise. 



No comments:

Post a Comment