Friday 14 February 2014

Time Treatment!

My Time Project Treatment

Already loving photography of old abandoned places because of there creepy feel. There's a feeling of fear around them, yet the emptiness sort of brings a new view of life to it.
Pulling me towards them, encouraging me to explore and learn the true story behind this now crumbling structure. 
I know, text book start of a horror movie right there. 



Just seeing these places which were one beautiful and full of people rooming around sort of makes me sad in a way. And the fact that the abandonment isn't just with small houses but institutes, business even towns or cities.

I've even looked around to see why I'm pulled to abandoned places, then I remember how much I love ancient ruins. The Colosseum, Machu Picchu, The Great Pyramids, etc. I love them because of the history that comes with them. Things I wasn't alive for or just didn't see.
It must mean something about mu personality. I know I am a very nostalgic person for events in my life, but abandoned places that mean nothing to me also intrigue me and me feel anxious, excited and nostalgic.



My idea for this project came not only from just messing around on Tumblr but then looking into Jeremy Marshall who photographs urban abandoned places.


This image really gave me the back of my idea. The Mix of old and new in one frame. Of course this being a still image I turned it into a moving image.

 3 old abandoned buildings with most of the structure still standing, one on each screen. Looping from there current crumbling state, to there older built version. Of course I will not be choosing random places to put of screen. I shall be looking into the history of these places to see if they deserve to be remembered. Why they closed down, what they did in the past, any scandalous information about the place, etc.



 The one minute loop will be of them fade or forming into the old form and then reforming back into the old broken down building.

I believe the message I'm trying to portray is that over time things decay, even buildings that might were of great importance and even though now it looks intimidating, we should remember things in there prime and listen to the story that they tell rather then flee at the sight of them. 

More work from inspiring artists:

My second favourite:

Detroit School

Grossinger's Catskill Resort Hotel


Abandoned Dungeness

Treatment Part 2

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice idea and could look great, you need to find the pictures/views that you are going to recreate as a matter of urgency and make sure you get permission to film. There is no sound on this project and so your images need to tell the story visually. Are you intending to have the images relate? what about landscapes and how they change? setting up the camera to match the picture will need carful consideration. It would be useful to do some tests on how you intend to blend the images from old to new. perhaps only parts of the images could reveal themselves so you look at the old and new, at the same time.

    Looking forward to seeing how you are going to develop this idea as you test and shoot.

    ReplyDelete