Tuesday 3 May 2016

Production Development



Its hard to see in the images but his front legs where slowly day by day leaning more forward when put under the weight of the front half which then caused the back legs to twist at a weird angle.





After attaching the front legs to the rest of his body a few days later it was clear that it wasn't the best job I've done as he was slowly twisting in one direction so I edited the attachments which have worked very well keeping the bear stood up straight with little problem.



I bought a sheet of fabric to see how the polyester cotton looked as I was worried the polyester would be too shiny specially with the fact that I have lights pointed at them. However what I got wasn't too bad and is really good to work with and looks nice when put onto the wire.


I tested the new fabric on the ears and tail of one of the bears too see how good it was to work with and how it looked, to start with they don't look too great and it was my first time with the fabric but since doing those I have figured out how to make them more clean cut and looking more professional.  



Whilst cutting the fabric, which my friend helped with as I needed some extra hands, I attached them to the corresponding wire instead of ironing then gluing. Its an easier process to completely to do one task at a time. Then with what fabric was cut I glued it onto the wire, see image below, which sadly didn't look as good as I hoped.


With the wire it came rolled up in a coil however I needed the wire straight so I would cute random lengths of wire the sit and straighten them all out which made putting the sculptures together a lot quicker.


When doing bear #2 I found the building process a lot easier due to me cutting the wire and straightening it before hand, so I had it built in 5 days, the only problem with it is that all of the weight is in the front so it tilts forwards and can't stand up, I have created crutches which sadly didn't work.


After ordering test fabric for the other two colours I agreed that both those colours looked as close as I could get them and the fabric was good quality. However when I received the second order of green it was a completely different shades of green however to fix this I am going to order more and see what shade they send me again and use the new shade of green as the other was a bit too bright, however I fear that another order will bring me more of the colour I don't want and not in time for assessment. The only thing I can do is cover what I can with the fabric I have before assessment and hope that right shade comes at the right time.


I started making the stag by doing the body first then attaching the legs.


I've ordered two different types of new fabric for the new idea (link to new idea), Chiffon and silk satin fabric, in order to get them roughly around the same time. I also got the two different types as they both draped well, however I cannot be sure how they well they look until I apply both types. The only issue is the time they arrive will be very close to deadlines, also I am curious what a transparent fabric would look like compared to a solid fabric.


Above is the new chiffon fabric which is light and flows very nicely like a veil. The only problem is that its kind of transparent which may be okay but may cause a problem.


Above is one of the silk satin green I ordered which didn't come in the green that I was expecting so I can't use that making the silk satin unusable. 


Even though due to late packages I couldn't use the silk satin after looking at the quality of the material and the way it hangs also the weight of it may drag down the sculptures pretty quickly.  

After forming the body of the stag I made legs and attached them, however the next trick was to get him to stand on them.


WHICH I DID!! Barely...





No comments:

Post a Comment